<< Back

DAYTONA BEACH, FL—The Embry-Riddle men's soccer defeated Johnson & Wales, 16-0 in their Sun Conference opener Friday night, Sept. 16,  at Embry-Riddle Soccer Stadium. The win will put the 2011 Eagles in the record books as they broke the single season record for goals in a match, points in a game and largest margin of victory. The Eagles 16 goal, 46 point performance Friday night bested the 1996 Eagle squad's 14 goal 38 point match against Trinity International on Sept. 15, 1996.

Play was dominated by the Eagle men throughout the entire first half. The Eagle offensive attack was in full force against the Wildcats, firing off 21 shots (11 on goal) on the JWU defense in the first 45 minutes.

The first goal for the Blue and Gold came 14 minutes into the match when senior Michael Donald lofted a corner from the right side of the field that found two Eagles leaping for a header amongst the Wildcat defenders. The ball was knocked down, but Ally MacDonald was there to settle it and get a shot off that got past Hansel De Brito, the Wildcat keeper. The goal was MacDonald's first of the 2011 season and first as an Eagle.     

The Eagles' second goal came in the 25th minute when a beautiful no look pass from Sam Fairhurst just outside the 18-yard box found Nicklas Petersson. Petersson dribbled around and Wildcat defender and De Brito for the goal toput the Blue and Gold up, 2-0.

The third goal for the Eagles came just three minutes later when a long ball from Donald in the midfield found Anel Coralic in the on the left side of the field. Coralic ran with the ball through the Wildcat defense and rifled a shot 25 yards out that beat the keeper in the top left corner of the net.

Embry-Riddle's fourth goal came off of another corner kick. This time, Fairhurst lofted the corner from the left side of the field and found freshman Veit Couturier near the back post for a header that gave the Eagles a 4-0 lead.

Viktor Gudnason and Fairhurst added two more goals before half to send the Eagles into the locker room with a 6-0 lead.

The Eagle offensive assault was pressuring the Wildcat defense right from the whistle to start the second half. ERAU's first goal of the second half came from Fairhurst in 56th minute. Fairhurst took a ball from Donald just outside the 18-yard box and blasted it past the keeper for his second goal of the night and a 7-0 ERAU lead.

The Eagles added nine more goals against the Wildcats in the second half. The Eagle men took 47 shots on the night, 28 were on goal, while the Wildcats were only able to muster three shots (two on goal).

20 players saw action tonight for the Blue and Gold and eight different players scored in the contest. Fairhurst, Couturier and Gudnason led the offensive attack for the Eagles. Fairhurst had three goals and four assists, Couturier had three goals and an assist, while Gudnason added four goals himself.

Nine other players recorded points in the match. Macdonald had two goals and an assist, Donald had three assists, while Erik Norburg and Petersson each had a goal and an assist.

Jared Nordman scored his first goal as an Eagle and Brian Porter, Jacob Stevenback and Nils Carlson all picked up their first points in an Eagle uniform with an assist each.